Compiling Gaim with Gaim-Encryption

  • user warning: Table 'cache' is marked as crashed and should be repaired query: SELECT data, created, headers, expire FROM cache WHERE cid = 'filter:3:baf10bd479dd715d99530707d7661005' in /home/dowdle/public_html/montanalinux/includes/database.mysql.inc on line 121.
  • user warning: Table 'cache' is marked as crashed and should be repaired query: UPDATE cache SET data = '<p>Friday I decided to finally get caught up with the latest Gaim IM. I\'m using FC5 most of the week while at work. I had been using the latest stable 1.5 RPMs. The past couple weeks for me have been a hassle with requests for authorization and tons of spam/bots from foreign lands. For some reason my privacy setting would never stick for ICQ and MSN accounts. Even if I set them for the current session, the spam bots seem to get through still. Who knows! Maybe it\'s just because I authorized so many already. So this is one of the reasons I looked for a newer version even if it\'s still beta.</p>\n<p>Some other background into understanding what I have been struggling with first. I had been using a couple other yum repositories known not to be compatible with others out there. I used them because the current Fedora repositories were not supplying what I needed for mplayer. So lots of newer development libraries were installed on my system. More and more I had been running into conflicts so last week I decided to find the packages I installed and uninstalled/re-installed the Fedora versions after taking the mentioned alternate repositories out. That project went rather well.</p>\n<p>After starting to compile Gaim, I found a few more problems with newer existing libs that prevented other needed libs. I had to uninstall those and simply yum install them again.</p>\n<p>Compiling Gaim is rather straight forward and was satisfied. Gaim-encryption was another story. After getting all the devel libs all straightened out, I was faced with this:</p>\n<blockquote>\n<pre>checking for GAIM... configure: error: Package requirements (gaim) were not met:\n\nNo package \'gaim\' found\n\nConsider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if you\ninstalled software in a non-standard prefix.\n\nAlternatively, you may set the environment variables GAIM_CFLAGS\nand GAIM_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.\nSee the pkg-config man page for more details.</pre></p></blockquote>\n<p>I tried a few different things to help it find Gaim but got my best tip from the Ubuntu forums folks. Find the gaim.pc file and set the path to it as in:</p>\n<blockquote>\n<pre>./configure PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig</pre></p></blockquote>\n<p>The <a href=\"http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=189938\" target=\"_ubuntu-forgums\">Ubuntu folks</a> had stated it as:<br />\n<blockquote>\n<pre>PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/opt/gaim-2.0.0beta3/lib/pkgconfig ./configure --prefix=/opt</pre></p></blockquote>\n<p>I\'m sure this would work in this order too.</p>\n', created = 1410924699, expire = 1411011099, headers = '' WHERE cid = 'filter:3:baf10bd479dd715d99530707d7661005' in /home/dowdle/public_html/montanalinux/includes/database.mysql.inc on line 121.
| | |

Friday I decided to finally get caught up with the latest Gaim IM. I'm using FC5 most of the week while at work. I had been using the latest stable 1.5 RPMs. The past couple weeks for me have been a hassle with requests for authorization and tons of spam/bots from foreign lands. For some reason my privacy setting would never stick for ICQ and MSN accounts. Even if I set them for the current session, the spam bots seem to get through still. Who knows! Maybe it's just because I authorized so many already. So this is one of the reasons I looked for a newer version even if it's still beta.

Some other background into understanding what I have been struggling with first. I had been using a couple other yum repositories known not to be compatible with others out there. I used them because the current Fedora repositories were not supplying what I needed for mplayer. So lots of newer development libraries were installed on my system. More and more I had been running into conflicts so last week I decided to find the packages I installed and uninstalled/re-installed the Fedora versions after taking the mentioned alternate repositories out. That project went rather well.

After starting to compile Gaim, I found a few more problems with newer existing libs that prevented other needed libs. I had to uninstall those and simply yum install them again.

Compiling Gaim is rather straight forward and was satisfied. Gaim-encryption was another story. After getting all the devel libs all straightened out, I was faced with this:

checking for GAIM... configure: error: Package requirements (gaim) were not met:

No package 'gaim' found

Consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if you
installed software in a non-standard prefix.

Alternatively, you may set the environment variables GAIM_CFLAGS
and GAIM_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.
See the pkg-config man page for more details.

I tried a few different things to help it find Gaim but got my best tip from the Ubuntu forums folks. Find the gaim.pc file and set the path to it as in:

./configure PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig

The Ubuntu folks had stated it as:

PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/opt/gaim-2.0.0beta3/lib/pkgconfig ./configure --prefix=/opt

I'm sure this would work in this order too.